February 21, 2019
Rethinking how lasagna is assembled allows this accessible Weeknight Stovetop Lasagna recipe to be enjoyed often! The traditional “hard work” of making lasagna is simplified in this one-pot pasta dish. The flavors of classic lasagna are all present and the best part is that this meal can be on the table in less than 45 minutes.
Ingredients:2 tablespoons olive oil1 small onion, diced3 cloves garlic, minced1 lb ground sweet Italian sausage2 teaspoons Italian seasoning1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes1 (28 oz) can of tomato sauce1-1/2 cusp chicken broth8 lasagna noodles, broken into 2” pieces5 ounces fresh spinach, washed and stemmed1/2 cup cottage cheese1 cup parmesan cheese, grated8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced into 1/4" roundsGarnish with fresh basil leaves, chiffonade cut
Directions: 1. In a large Dutch oven or braiser, sauté the onion and garlic with the olive oil until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the ground sausage and cook until the sausage is browned and no pink remains.
3. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and season with the Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, Kosher salt, and pepper. Stir to combine all of the ingredients, cover and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
4. Add the chicken broth and broken lasagna noodles and continue to simmer. Keep the noodles covered by the liquid, and stir occasionally to keep the noodles from sticking together. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked to al dente.
5. Add the fresh spinach leaves to the lasagna and stir with tongs until the spinach wilts into the sauce.
6. Scoop dollops of cottage cheese on the top of the lasagna. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese, and place the fresh mozzarella slices. Broil until the cheeses are nicely melted.
7. Garnish with freshly cut basil, serve warm, and enjoy!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
August 08, 2019
August 02, 2019
August 01, 2019