Rethinking how lasagna is assembled allows this accessible Weeknight Stovetop Lasagna recipe to be enjoyed often! The traditional “hard work” of making lasagna is simplified in this one-pot pasta dish. The flavors of classic lasagna are all present and the best part is that this meal can be on the table in less than 45 minutes.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground sweet Italian sausage
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes
1 (28 oz) can of tomato sauce
1-1/2 cusp chicken broth
8 lasagna noodles, broken into 2” pieces
5 ounces fresh spinach, washed and stemmed
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced into 1/4" rounds
Garnish with fresh basil leaves, chiffonade cut
1. In a large Dutch oven or braiser, sauté the onion and garlic with the olive oil until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the ground sausage and cook until the sausage is browned and no pink remains.
3. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and season with the Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, Kosher salt, and pepper. Stir to combine all of the ingredients, cover and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
4. Add the chicken broth and broken lasagna noodles and continue to simmer. Keep the noodles covered by the liquid, and stir occasionally to keep the noodles from sticking together. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked to al dente.
5. Add the fresh spinach leaves to the lasagna and stir with tongs until the spinach wilts into the sauce.
6. Scoop dollops of cottage cheese on the top of the lasagna. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese, and place the fresh mozzarella slices. Broil until the cheeses are nicely melted.
7. Garnish with freshly cut basil, serve warm, and enjoy!