* Free Shipping on orders over $99 *
August 02, 2020
Makes 8 Boats
These zucchini boats make a delicious appetizer, lunch, or healthy dinner! Grilled and filled with pizza-like toppings, they are sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike. Get creative with the fillings and toppings, or try our suggestion of caramelized onion, red sauce, and cheese. Makes 8 zucchini boats.
4 medium-sized zucchini
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon
2 tablespoons butter
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15-oz) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 oz sliced mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade cut for garnish
1. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a small spoon or melon baller. Brush the 8 zucchini boats with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fire up the grill!
2. In a skillet, sauté the red onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until soft and beginning to caramelize. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, prepare the red sauce. Add the garlic, the remaining butter, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil and and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until the garlic begins to sweat. Add the crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes on medium-low heat until the flavors are incorporated. Add the cooked onions to the sauce.
4. Grill the cut, scooped-out zucchini on direct heat for 3 minutes on both sides. Remove the zucchini from the grill, and place on a platter in order to fill the boats.
5. Spoon the sauce evenly inside the zucchini boats, then sprinkle with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Return the stuffed zucchini boats to the grill. Cover the grill, and grill over medium heat until the cheese is has melted and turned golden brown, about 5 minutes.
6. Sprinkle the finished boats with additional Kosher salt, pepper, and fresh basil and serve immediately
October 20, 2022