Makes 19 cups
Popcorn is always a crowd pleaser, but party popcorn is exceptionally popular! Salty, sweet, and nutty notes are paired perfectly in this special snack. Plan on making a double batch, so you can give some away, AND enjoy some at home, too!
16 cups plain popped popcorn, (all unpopped kernels removed)
1-1/2 cups almond slivers
1-1/2 cups roasted, unsalted peanuts
8 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1.Prepare a large mixing bowl by buttering the inside; this will help prevent an overly sticky situation later on. Also prepare a large sheet pan by lining it with parchment paper.
2. Place the popped popcorn and nuts in the bowl, and stir together.
3. Make the sauce. Add the butter, corn syrup and sugar to a 3 quart saucepan and heat over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in the Kosher salt and vanilla and continue to heat until the sauce is bubbling vigorously. Carefully, use a candy thermometer to monitor the increasing temperature and once the sauce reaches 240 degrees F, add the baking soda and stir. The baking soda will cause the mixture to bubble up quickly
4. Pour the bubbling sauce over the popcorn and nuts and immediately stir until the sauce coats all of the popcorn and nuts.
5. Spread the "sauced" popcorn in a thin layer on the prepared sheet pan. Bake on low heat in a at 250 degrees F oven for about one hour.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes. Break up the party popcorn into smaller chunks, and place in food safe gift bags or tins for giving.