This chunky tomato soup assembles quickly and is filled with savory, satisfying flavors. Nothing pairs better with tomato soup than grilled cheese! For a complete meal, garnish this soup with grilled cheese “croutons.” Simply cut up a few grilled cheese sandwiches into bite-sized pieces, and add to each bowl. For extra flair, finish it off with some fresh basil, chiffonade.
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon butter
1/2 onion, minced in food processor
2 stalks celery, minced in food processor
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
fresh basil, chiffonade
Grilled cheese “croutons”
1. In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil and butter. Add the minced onion and celery, and sauté until translucent.
2. Add the tomatoes, broth, honey, and spices and simmer until the flavors have melded together about 15 minutes.
3. Remove half of the soup, and blend with a high powered blender until smooth. Add the pureed soup back into the chunky soup.
4. Stir in 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar.
5. Serve hot with a garnish of grilled cheese croutons and fresh basil.