Makes 4 (6 oz) cakes
Molten cakes are a popular indulgence for a reason! We found that they are super easy to make, and well worth the minimal effort. The trick for making the cakes molten, is to bake them at a high temperature, so that a crust quickly forms while the center of the cake stays warm and gooey. Complete the experience with a scoop or two of ice cream, a dusting of powdered sugar, and a few fresh raspberries!
4 (6 oz) ramekins
2 tablespoons of butter, for buttering the ramekins
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder for preparing the ramekins
1 stick unsalted butter
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
8 fresh raspberries, for filling cakes
1 tablespoon powdered sugar, for dusting the baked cakes
Additional fresh raspberries, for garnishing
Vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
1. Butter the inside of the ramekins, bottom and sides. Dust the buttered surfaces with cocoa powder. Shake out any excess powder. This preparation of the ramekins is key to creating a nonstick situation and will facilitate the unmolding and inverting of the cakes when it's time to serve.
2. In a small sauce pan, melt the butter with the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted completely.
3. Using a large bowl and a whisk, beat the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and salt together until well combined and slightly fluffy.
4. Stir in the melted chocolate and butter. Add the flour and fold carefully and gently until just combined.
5. Fill the ramekins 3/4 of the way with the cake batter. Place two raspberries in each ramekin. Top off each ramekin with the remaining batter ensuring that the raspberries become covered.
6. Bake at 450 degrees F for 9-11 minutes, or until the tops of the cakes are just beginning to crack. Because the cakes are baked at a high heat, the inside will be "molten lava," while the outside is firm.
7. Allow the cakes cool in the ramekins for 1 minute, then invert each cake onto a dessert plate. Dust with powdered sugar, garnish with fresh raspberries, and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.