Makes 8 wedges
This savory cornbread is packed with flavor! Add-ins of cheddar cheese, shallot, corn, and jalapeño peppers turn this not-so-average side dish into a feature dish. We recommend enjoying this extra-moist cornbread warm with a dab of butter and a drizzle of honey.
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup corn kernels
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
1 jalapeño, one half sliced crosswise, one half diced
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup melted butter, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
1/2 cup plain unflavored Greek yogurt
1 large egg beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and place a 10-inch cast iron skillet inside to preheat.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients, the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper and whisk together until evenly combined. Fold in the corn kernels, shallot, grated cheese, and diced jalapeño (save a handful of the cheese and the jalapeño slices for a top garnish on the batter) into the flour mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together. Whisk the buttermilk, melted butter, yogurt, and egg together. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until just combined.
4. Use hot pads to remove the preheated cast iron skillet from the oven and melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter inside. Immediately pour the cornbread batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with reserved jalapeño slices and grated cheese.
5. Bake the cornbread for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden. Serve warm, with butter and honey.