February 15, 2018
Black garlic is a unique ingredient made from white garlic that has been slowly heated and browned over several weeks. It's most often found at Asian or whole food-style markets. The result is a garlic flavor that is much milder than fresh garlic -- a taste that can even be described as sweet. The wet rub used in this chicken dish features both black garlic and fresh garlic. The result is a tender roasted bird with a new depth of flavor. Pair this chicken with garlic-braised leeks (recipe below).
Ingredients:1 whole roasting chicken (about 4-5 pounds)Wet Rub Ingredients:2 tablespoon vegetable oil3 cloves garlic3 cloves black garlic1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced3 tablespoons soy sauce1 teaspoon sesame oil1 tablespoon honey1 tablespoon hoisin sauce1 jalapeno, seeded
Directions:1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Spatchcock the whole chicken as follows: With the breast side down, cut on either side of the backbone from tail to neck, and pry apart. Cut the top of the breastbone and loosen the muscles on either side of the breastbone cartilage. Remove the breastbone, (keel bone), and further flatten the chicken open by pressing down. Spatchcocking the chicken flattens the chicken allowing it to roast more evenly and quickly.
3. In a blender or food processor, blend the wet rub ingredients together until smooth.
4. Coat the spatchcocked chicken with the marinade, including application under the skin. Let the chicken set at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the wet rub to be absorbed.
5. Place the chicken on a sheet pan, and roast for 40-45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F at the thickest part of the breast.
6. Cut or carve the chicken into pieces to serve.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
February 18, 2021
February 05, 2021
January 21, 2021