March 07, 2019
Makes about 8 cups
Sauce Tomat is a classic French tomato sauce. It differs from other versions of tomato sauce that you may be more familiar with by using a mirepoix (a mixture of onion, celery, carrot), salt pork, and a ham bone to infuse flavor while the tomatoes reduce into a very rich and flavorful sauce.
Ingredients:2 ounces salt pork, chopped2 cups yellow onions, finely diced1 cup carrots, finely diced1 cup celery, finely diced1 clove garlic, crushed2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes4 cups chicken stock1 ham bonePinch kosher salt, to tastePinch of sugar, to taste
For the Sachet:1 bay leaf3 sprigs fresh thyme8-10 black peppercorns
Directions: 1. In a large Dutch oven, render the salt pork until the fat has been released.
2. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent about 5 minutes.
3. Use a small sachet, or make one out of cheesecloth for the bay leaf, thyme and peppercorns. After the sauce has cooked, the sachet is easy to remove from the sauce before pureeing.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes, stock, ham bone, and the sachet of herbs.
5. Bring the sauce to a simmer, stir, and then cover.
6. Bake in a 300-degree oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until the sauce has thickened and reduced by about one-third.
7. Remove the ham bone and sachet from the sauce. Taste the sauce and season with additional salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar, as needed. If you desire, you may then blend the sauce with an immersion blender or blender. Or, you may strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer to remove any solids.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
November 13, 2020
November 12, 2020
November 05, 2020