Makes about 8 toasts
An eye-catching appetizer, or satisfying lunch, these salt block grilled shrimp are simply outstanding! The salt block perfectly seasons the shrimp as it grills in just a few minutes. The refreshing salsa and creamy avocado round out the flavors and delicious profile of these tasty toasts.
1 Himalayan salt block
1 lb large shrimp, cleaned
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 french baguette, sliced
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 avocados, pitted and mashed
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 clove of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cucumber Mango Salsa:
1/2 English Cucumber, seeds removed, finely diced
2 champagne mangoes, pitted and finely diced
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
1 lime, juiced
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Place the salt block on a cool grill and heat the grill to a medium high heat. Allow the salt block to warm gradually as the grill heats up.
2. Prepare the shrimp by cleaning and deveining, as necessary.
3. Meanwhile, prepare all of the other ingredients. The shrimp will grill very quickly, so have all the other recipe prep completed. Slice the baguette into long, diagonal slices, and brush with the melted butter.
4. Prepare the cucumber mango salsa by finely dicing all the ingredients, and mixing to combine.
5. In a medium bowl, mash the avocado with the lime juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and set aside.
6. Just before you're ready to grill the shrimp, grill the slices of buttered bread until grill marks begin to appear and the bread is toasted.
7. In a medium bowl, drizzle the shrimp with olive oil, pepper and chili powder Toss to coat.. Once the salt block is very hot, place the shrimp on the salt block and cook for 2-3 minutes turning once with tongs until the shrimp are pink and opaque. Actual timing may vary by the size of the shrimp and the heat of the grill, so go by sight and touch.
8. Immediately before serving, spread the avocado mash on the toasts, top with a few spoonfuls of salsa, and top with the grilled shrimp.
9. After the salt block cools, care for your salt block according to the package instructions.