July 12, 2018
Makes 12 pieces
Making delicious, crispy and juicy fried chicken at home is easier then you think. This recipe double coats the chicken with an array of spices, flour, and buttermilk creating a crispy, golden crust that is irresistable! The chicken on the bone is extra flavorable and juicy - a perfect compliment to the crispy fried crust. This recipe is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser!
6 chicken legs, excess skin and fat trimmed off
6 chicken thighs, excess skin and fat trimmed off
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon smoky paprika
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 egg whites
2 cups buttermilk
3 cups flour
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Mix all of the spices together in a small bowl.
2. Sprinkle the chicken with half of the spice mixture and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. Set up your dredging station. Place the flour and mix in the other half of the spice mixture in a low, large bowl. In another low, large bowl whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk.
4. Dip the spiced chicken into the buttermilk mixture, then place into the flour and use a spoon to cover with flour. Dip the floured chicken back into the buttermilk for a second time, and then again into the flour until coated. Shake off excess flour.
5. Place the double coated chicken on a cooling rack nested on a baking sheet, and let the coating dry out for about 10 minutes while you prepare the oil for frying.
6. In a large dutch oven pot, pour two inches of vegetable oil, and heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
7. Prepare a holding environment for the cooked chicken, as you fry the pieces in batches. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and place a cooling rack on a baking sheet, as a holding place for the cooked chicken.
8. Using long tongs, pan fry the chicken. In order to keep the crispy coating in tact, let the chicken fry for about 10 minutes before turning for the first time. Turn the chicken on all sides until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F and is golden brown and crispy all over.
9. Sprinkle hot chicken with kosher salt.
October 20, 2022
October 06, 2022
September 23, 2022