January 01, 2018
Our remake of this hearty soup has all the flavor with less calories. It's a version that's packed with vegetables along with plenty of protein-packed lentils. You'll find just a hint of heat thanks to the inclusion of crushed red pepper flakes. This soup is filled with complex flavors, but all with minimal effort. Simply cook the sausage before adding all ingredients to a crockpot. Then, let the sausage and lentils simmer together into a winning flavor combination!
Ingredients:8 oz sweet Italian sausage2 cloves garlic, minced1 onion, diced1 carrot, sliced2 stalks celery, diced2 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped3 sprigs fresh thyme1 bay leaf1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes1 teaspoon kosher salt1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper4-6 cups chicken broth1-1/2 cups brown lentils, rinsed2 cups of kale, stemmed, roughly chopped
Directions:1. Cook the sausage and garlic in a skillet on the stovetop, until the sausage is browned and thoroughly cooked.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables for the soup by slicing and dicing.
3. Place the cooked sausage, vegetables, broth, herbs, and lentils into a large crockpot, and cook on low for 4 hours, or high for 2 hours.
4. Before serving, add a few handfuls of kale, and continue cooking the soup until the kale becomes tender and wilted.
5. Remove the sprigs of thyme and the bay leaf. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper, as needed.
6. Serve hot with a garnish of fresh parsley and a side of crusty, warm bread.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
June 03, 2021
May 20, 2021
May 06, 2021