Makes 2 (12-inch) oval flatbreads
Extra herbaceous pesto elevates this grilled flatbread to a new level of deliciousness. Grilled in just a few minutes, it makes a quick appetizer for sharing or a satisfying main dish.
Flatbread Dough Ingredients:
1 cup lukewarm water
1 packet instant yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting and kneading
1 cup roughly chopped chives
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
4-6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
2-3 ripe heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
4-5 leaves fresh basil, julienned
1. Prepare the flatbread dough. Add the yeast to warm water, and proof for 2 minutes (until a few bubbles begin to appear). Then add in the olive oil, honey, salt, and one cup of the flour. Mix together, and then slowly add in the remaining flour; mix until a rough dough ball is formed. Transfer the dough to a floured surface. With the heel of your hand, knead the dough, adding flour as necessary to keep it from sticking. Knead until the dough turns into a smooth ball; place in an oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a towel and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
2. In a food processor, or high powered blender, combine the chives, basil, mint, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese, kosher salt, and pepper and pulse until blended.
3. Prepare a direct/indirect grill, with high heat on one side.
4. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. On a floured surface, pat or roll each piece into a 12-inch long oval. Prepare a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the parchment with a little olive oil, then place the two crusts on the parchment. Brush the top of the crusts with a little olive oil.
5. Once the grill is hot, work quickly to grill the dough. Using the parchment paper to lift the crust, turn it over onto the grill, then remove the parchment from the top of the dough. Close the lid and grill the flatbread for 2 to 3 minutes. Then, using long tongs, flip the crust and place on the indirect side of the grill.
6. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the pesto onto the grilled flatbread while still on the grill. Spread the pesto leaving a 1-inch margin around the edge. Top with slices of fresh mozzarella and slices of tomato. Cover and grill for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese has melt nicely. Remove the hot flatbread from the grill, garnish with the julienned basil. Cut into slices and serve warm.