December 06, 2017
Makes about 16 oz - or (4) 4 oz jars
For those on your list with a sweet tooth, ooey gooey butterscotch sauce is a treasured treat. For something with a lot of flavor complexity, this sauce assembles easily and quickly. Enjoy this sauce over ice cream, pie, or even as a spoonful stirred into a cup of dark roast coffee.
Ingredients:8 tablespoons butter1 cup light brown sugar1 cup heavy cream1/2 teaspoon vanillapinch of salt
Directions:1. In a 3-quart saucepan over low heat, melt the butter, then add the brown sugar. Stir to combine with a wooden or silicone spoon.
2. Stir slowly the mixture slowly, allowing the sugar to dissolve in the butter and turn from a granular texture into a more liquid, bubbly lava texture. (Careful -- the mixture is hot -- resist any urge to taste!)
3. Once the butter-sugar mixture becomes a molten, bubbling liquid, add the cream all at once. Quickly whisk the cream into the butter-sugar with a sturdy whisk, and with continuous stirring simmer on low (gentle bubbling) for about 5 minutes. The mixture will thicken slightly.
4. Remove from heat, and add the vanilla and a pinch of salt and stir to combine.
5. Carefully pour or spoon the sauce into the jars. The butterscotch sauce will continue to thicken as it cools. Wait until the jars have cooled completely, then fit with a tight lid. Keep refrigerated for up to two weeks.
6. If desired, reheat the butterscotch in a microwave oven for 10 seconds to return it to a perfect drizzling state.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
August 21, 2020
August 05, 2020
August 04, 2020